Thursday, December 10, 2009

What do you need to get a career in Theatre?

I am only a Sophomore in High School but I'm thinking a lot of my college and future plans. One of my dreams is to become a dancer or actress on Broadway or something of the sort. I have been dancing for 11 years (13 by the time I graduate) and by the time I finish High School I will have four years of Drama clubs and classes and 7 school plays under my belt (small school, not much annual Productions).



However, since College is a lot of money, I don't want to study something that possibly won't get me anywhere. So I was wondering if it is almost essential to Major in Theatre or Dance in college to be in the spotlight, or at least somewhere on stage for something like Broadway. Any help at all would be great, advice would be very helpful.



What do you need to get a career in Theatre?opera music



Theatre is a collective endeavor requiring



individual achievement. A single production



may, for example, bring together the skills of



playwrights, performers, designers, and



experts in scene construction and lighting.



Theatre may be the most comprehensive of all



the arts, and the most challenging and



exciting.



While it is true that having a college degree



will not guarantee you a position in the world



of theatre (or any other field for that matter), it



is important to realize that this is the best way



to prepare yourself and to increase your



chances in the job market. Acknowledging



that there is intense competition, given the



incredible number of talented people vying for



each job, you must somehow set yourself



above the others.



A great combination is a college degree with



at least one theatre-related internship,



additional formal training or study, experience



working in the field (such as working crew on a



production, volunteering, teaching drama at a



local arts center, etc.), enthusiasm along with



a positive attitude, and perseverance.



A student concentrating in theatre arts should



emerge from the experience more



knowledgeable, confident, sensitive, and



aware of the benefits of cooperating and



sharing with others. Study in the theatre arts



offers exposure to creative dramatic



expression, primarily in front of live audiences.



It involves study of all types of artistic



performance in theaters, in educational



institutions, on TV, in movies, and outdoors.



All major aspects of performance preparation



are studied. Major areas of specialization



include: acting, directing, theatre history and



criticism, playwriting, design, theatre



technology, theatre studies (education), and



creative drama.



While many theatre majors proceed to careers



in the theatre and associated fields, their study



may also lead them to success in such fields



as teaching, arts management, public



relations, and drama therapy, to name a few.



What do you need to get a career in Theatre?opera sheet music opera theater



The first answerer provided some useful information. However, if you're aiming for a performance career, internships are of no use -- you would never put something like that on an acting resume. All an auditor wants to see from your resume is an idea of the level of professional work you've done.



I strongly recommend a college education. Upon graduating with a degree, if the performance thing doesn't pan out, you will be equipped to teach or work in some sort of arts administraion or arts management jobs, of which there are quite a few. After over 20 years of creative work [mostly onstage], I've been trying to transition into the administrative side of the arts. However, it's proving very difficult, because I never finished a degree in anything -- even though I've got arts experience up the wazoo AND have worked in a lot of administrative environs during periods where I had no arts work, employers are not willing to equate my practical experience with a piece of paper [a degree], even though I know more now than someone stepping out of college with their degree [my private studies with renowned teachers also outweigh what a college student would have experienced, but even that is not given credence].



I dropped out of college because I started getting cast in professional theatre -- frankly, I needed the money. In retrospect I could have managed to stay in school, but there you are. So I recommend you go to college -- the degree will make you marketable in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover